'Book Nook' is a new feature I would like to start here on True Becoming. I love reading. But. I'm picky. The feeling of crawling under the covers with a book and a cup of tea is akin to the thrill of getting on a plane; I'm transported. I love, love, love this feeling. When I find a book that has me planning my life around the next time I can read, I have a hard time letting go of it when I've finished. I then go through a bit of a mourning stage and restless searching for another book that grasps me the same way. As it can be challenging to find the next great read (or rather, narrow down the vastness of great books out there), I thought I would do this feature with themes in mind to help others find great books.
The list I have compiled is for someone seeking good, honest and reflective memoirs by a diverse collection of women. The nine books I have suggested here, some I have read and others I will read soon, are about seeking, friendship, inspiration, mental illness, growing up, and the divine feminine. At this time of year, a time of retreat and nesting, I find I am more drawn to real-life tales that encourage me to be more reflective.
I hope you too find some joy in some of them and please feel free to make some suggestions.
1. Girl Interupted, Susanna Kaysen
2. The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
3. Letters to My Daughter, Maya Angelou
4. The Liar's Club, Mary Carr
5. Drinking: A Love Story, Caroline Knapp
6. Let's Take the Long Way Home, Gail Caldwell
7. The Return of the Feminine and the World Soul, Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee
8. Circle of Stones, Judith Duerk
9. The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, Sue Monk Kidd