I have played for the Royal City Roller Girls for almost a year now. The team started up last May as Guelph's First Ever Roller Derby League. All by one woman, you know who you are... you are our hero!
Derby has made a profound difference in my life, as it has for many, and has challenged me in ways I didn't know were possible. I admit that the glamour of fishnets and female empowerment were intriguing factors in getting me to seek such an opportunity, however, the reality of hard work set in pretty quickly and I have thought of quitting a few times. Alas, these are the reasons that have kept me going:
1. Finally, a sport where having a large rump is an asset!
2. I don't have to play nice. In fact, it's expected that I don't!
3. Practical purpose for fishnets. Of course by practical, I mean then look good while we play (they are breathable too).
5. It's vintage. Read about it's history
6. It's a place for all women, of different sizes, shapes ages, etc., to feel empowered.
7. It's the only time I don't care if I smell... it actually makes me feel victorious.
8. It's exercise, but I don't even realize that until I'm really sore and bruised hours later.
9. Sugar, spice and everything nice is overrated. Strong women, that's what it's about!
10. No matter what I'm going through, how frustrated I get or what else is going on in my life... the track is therapy!
To all the women out there that play, and everyone else who supports this magnificent sport... roll on!!!
This entry is dedicated to the founder of our league and all the wonderful people that populate and support our newest sport in Guelph!!!!!